Monday, July 21, 2014

Montreal court decides in multi-million dollar porn ruling

   A Montreal courthouse recently spent an impressive seven full in late May listening to testimony about porn DVDs and the story did not have a happy ending for Montreal-based shop magnate Alain Elmaleh who last Tuesday was ordered to pay up $2,555,020 CDN to an American porn company called Jules Jordan Video for pirating DVDs.
   Elmaleh is planning an appeal of the judgment.
Elmaleh
   Alain Elmaleh's companies were originally ordered to pay $17 million by a U.S. judge after an investigation into pirating began about a decade ago but that sum was slimmed down in a subsequent ruling.
Jordan, Jules
   However Justice Louis J. Gouin upheld a California ruling against Elmaleh from 2011 for allegedly pirating movies made by the Jules Jordan Video company, run by 5'7" director whose real - or born name - is Ashley Gasper.
  So chances are that if you strolled into a Montreal sex shop, or any of Elmaleh's many sex shops across Canada, and purchased Trained Teens 2, or John Leslie’s Fresh Meat 10, you were getting a knockoff.
   Elmaleh had been hit by a related suit from Evil Angel, but those parties settled, whereas Jordan's empire chose not to.
   The litigation was launched after Evil Empire received a high number of demands for refunds and realized that the DVDs being returned were fakes.
  Elmaleh said in California court in May that he has no assets in the U.S. and had done nothing unlawful there.
   One might conclude from all of this is that an inventive entrepreneur might have simply created his own porno movies, of which Canada is said to have too few.
   Canada's paltry supply of porno film production is the notion behind a CRTC ruling from March which assailed a couple of companies for not showing the 35 percent minimum Canadian porn requirement on their programming. Quebec has invested heavily in video game industry but thus far the incipient Quebec porn video industry appears to have been forced to do it on their own.    

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Demolition of iconic CNR office building: an illegal act

   Southwest borough mayor Benoit Dorais has confirmed to Coolopolis that he watched on helplessly as the historic, abandoned old Grand Trunk/ Canadian National Railways office building at Bridge and Wellington was illegally demolished last winter by Ray-Mont Logisitics, which was hired by a condo company which is planning to put up condos at the corner.
   The company has been fined by the borough, he reports, and the case is in the courts as we speak, or write, or type or whatever we're doing here.
   There appears to have been little outrage following this demolition, which is unfortunate.
   In the mid-70s heritage activists were outraged when similar illegal (or otherwise dodgy) demolitions were undertaken around Montreal, most notably the Van Horne Mansion. That demolition at NE Drummond and Sherbrooke in 1973 so outraged Montrealers that David Azrieli's reputation was permanently tarnished following the affair, leading him to spend more time in Israel than in Montreal, where he was the province's third wealthiest resident. Azrieli died last week and the issue was raised prominently in the notice.
As it looks now
   Now while this building was no Van Horne mansion, it was the most important of a series of buildings used in the administration of a busy area that included slaughterhouses a stone's throw away from Goose Village.
   I asked Dorais which company the developers hired to demolish the premises but he replied that it was the Ray-Mont crews themselves who took the lovely old building down.
   We at Coolopolis feel that the developers should be forced to rebuild the same building and integrated it into their condo project and whoever actually issued the order should face legal sanctions.
    The demolition also raises fears that a similar abandoned old structure a little further down Bridge (in front of Costco) could fall victim to a similar fate.
  The once-lively area was devastated by a series of expropriations in the 1960s. Here's a list of events that took place in the area over the years.

On Thursday Dorais confirmed in a tweet that the borough is indeed arguing in court to force the property owners to rebuild the demolished building.



Dorais later rephrased his comments, noting that ordering the rebuilding of a building in such bad shape would seem a stretch, but that "the courts would decide."

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Montreal's Johnny Greco: great at boxing, bad at driving

   Montreal's Johnny Greco, aka Giuseppe Antonio Giovanni Greco, aka The Million Dollar Kid, was a great Montreal boxer but not such a great driver.
Cedar and Mountain
   Not only was he busted in the army for a fatal driving incident, he went on to die in a fatal one-car accident on Cedar and Mountain in Westmount at the young age of 31 on Dec. 12, 1954.
   He was reportedly on his way to attend a charity dinner for poor kids.
   Greco was raised in NDG and started boxing at age seven or 12,  depending on your source. He was a product of the Griffintown club.
   Abe and Murray Elkin made him a star in New York City where he had his first fight in 1941 and attracted record gates as a lightweight.
   He served a year in the Canadian army but that didn't go great, as his bad driving was fingered in the death of fellow soldier Romeo Dagenais in a drive from Montreal to Farnham in January 1944 while he was serving in St Jean south of Montreal.
Add caption
   He won the Canadian welterweight title against Dave Castilloux at the Forum in Aug. 1946 and held it until 1952 when Armand Savoie snatched it from him.
   Greco retired after winning back that crown on Aug. 26, 1952.
   His bout against Laurent Dauthuille on Aug. 9, 1949 at Delorimier
Stadium attracted 19,580 fans, which stood as the all-time largest crowd in Montreal for a boxing match until Sugar Ray took on Duran at the Big O in 1980.
   Greco lost that bout.
  Greco also lost a famous bout in Montreal on May 21, 1951, after Rocky Graziano knocked him out with a sock in the jaw in the third round. The photo from that moment is considered one of the great sporting shots.
   He also fought a massively-big drawing saw-off in New York against Beau Jack, a Georgia shoeshine boy.
   He had a career record of 105-13 and retired after winning back his Canadian welterweight crown from Armand Savoie on Aug. 26, 1952. He attempted a comeback in 1954 but it was frowned upon by local boxing insiders.
   Johnny Greco lived at 4539 Draper at the time of his death.
    He died a bachelor and left behind two brothers and his parents, to whom he was very close.
   Rivals Castilloux and Savoie were among his pallbearers.
    It's unknown whether Grego was related to Luigi Greco, who was one of the city's top mob bosses at around this time.
   We know that mobster Luigi Greco's father Angelo reportedly died in 1922.
   Boxing Johnny's middle name was Angelo, so might imply that Johnny Greco was maybe a nephew to the big time mobster.
   Luigi was getting divorced in the early 50s from his wife Berthe, who divorced Luigi (aka Louis Greco) and remarried.
  She, by some coincidence, also died tragically in Westmount on February 12,1953. Circumstances unknown.
   Mobster Luigi Greco died famously at his restaurant at 3212 Jarry after his floor cleaning fluid caught fire in 1972.  

Document exposes South Shore policing practices

   Those driving in certain parts of the South Shore might sense that they're being watched by overzealous police following the emergence of a document confirming the existence of a ticket quota, which requires police to write up a dozen tickets on the night shift for such infractions as texting while driving, improper stops, disobeying traffic lights, speeding, license, registration, tinted windows, mufflers, unsafe driving, illegal maneuvers (U-turns, passing).
   The directive - which we presume to be valid - comes from the Richelieu St. Laurent police which covers Beloeil, Calixa-Lavallée, Carignan, Chambly, Contrecoeur, McMasterville, Mont St-Hilaire, Otterburn Park, Saint-Amable, Saint-Basile-Le-Grand,
Saint-Jean-Baptiste, Saint-Julie, Saint-Mathias-Sur-Richelieu, Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil, Richelieu, Varennes and Verchères,
   This document would presumably be an embarrassment for the squad, as ticket quotas can lead to unfair and excessive ticketing and most, if not all, police squads deny their existence. (Story from julienjj on Montrealracing.com). The document, it is believed, was leaked by the union as a pressure tactic to speed negotiations. 

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Life in the East End: balcony chicken bone battle

Description: "The guy with the blue cap threw a chicken bone on the girl's balcony. She got mad cause she has dogs that could choke on the bone. The guy with the yellow hat is her boyfriend and he steps in to defend her . Watch the man gets stumped."
 Video posted by Alex Terrieur, who is undoubtedly the guy shouting "World Star Hip Hop" which the internet suggests you're supposed to chant when witnessing a brawl. 

Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Chinese immigrants can fund the return of the Expos

Dominic Therrien says that he's working behind the scenes to encourage a totally original way to fund a baseball stadium to help get the Expos back.
  Therrien is a Trifluvien who went on to play some minor league ball before becoming an immigration lawyer in Vancouver, specializing in helping wealthy Chinese move to Canada.
   Therrien suggests that the $500 million required to build a new baseball stadium in Montreal could be raised from spurned immigration applicants.
   About 1,750 of the 5,000 outsiders seeking to move to Quebec under the investor program are accepted each year.
   Therrien proposes that 620 of those rejected applicants be accepted in the country on the condition that they agree to pay $275,000.
   That program would last three years and all of the funds would be earmarked to build the new Montreal baseball stadium.
   Therrien, speaking on the Derek Aucoin radio show Tuesday, noted that some like the concept but say that the proceeds should instead go to some other cause, such as building a new bridge or hospital.
  Therrien deals with this suggestion by noting that, unlike those infrastructure projects, a baseball team injects money into the economy.
   So if, for example, the payroll is $100 million taxed at 45 percent, the return on the salaries alone would be $45 million. Concessions, tourism, other sales taxes would also provide the government with income.
   Under the investor program, a candidate can bring his family to Canada and become a landed immigrant if he provides a $800,000 cheque to the government, which they return after five years without interest. The government, if they earn say five percent from that cash, will benefit to the tune of $200,000 per head.
   The Harper government expressed some misgiving about the program, which is popular in Quebec but not elsewhere in the country.   

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Where is Claude Quevillon?

   One time Montreal taxi driver Claude Quevillon has made his way back into the news in connection with the unsolved murders in the 80s of young boys Maurice Viens, Sebastien Metivier and Denis Roux Bergevin.
   In the mid-80s Quevillon was said to have approached police with what might have been some useful information about the killings.
  According to one unverified narrative, police were forced to discontinue their interviews with Quevillon on the orders of mental health authorities.
   Another version has it that police released him because they did not consider him credible.
   This has led to considerable frustration among the families of the victims, who would like to talk to Quevillon on their own but are unable to locate him because if anybody knows, they aren't allowed to tell.
  This week, one witness came forth to say that Quevillon lived in Point St. Charles in the early 80s, where he was a regular at the Chez Moma depanneur on Centre street, reinforcing the possibility that he was an important witness to the crimes.
   The parents of young Denis Roux Bergevin, who was was murdered at age five in Cote St. Paul in June 1985, recently held a press conference in which they complained of a lack of communication with police in the investigation into their son's premature death.
  The child's body was later found in the woods in Brossard. He had been sexually abused before being hit on the head and killed. Police said a grey Chevrolet might have been involved but nothing came of the investigation.
   If indeed Quevillon is still alive - he'd be about 74 if he's still alive -  and truly had a history of mental illness there's a good possibility that he might be in a place such as the Pinel Institute, where many patients never leave. But it's also possible Quevillon is none of the above and that this narrative is a mutation of the truth bred through decades of desperation. Any and all solid information would be welcome. Postscript: I received a note in the comment box disputing this assessment, claiming that indeed he had been known to consume and sell cocaine consume and was indebted.  

Sunday, July 06, 2014

Downtown building, aged 150, was site of wild hooker-john-cop drama

    This lovely building that has sat on the west side of Drummond north of Dorch since around 1870 is slated for demolition by the owners, the Cohen brothers' Modico Canada, who wish to build a three storey hotel with nine to 10 storeys in back.
   I lived straight across the street for about five years and admired its Penny Lane-like qualities as it was affixed to a picturesque fire station but it has been abandoned and left to ruin for quite some time.
   The most unusual thing that ever happened at the place took place in 1983 when it was the Vines Tourist Rooms, a vocation it had for at least three decades.
   In March 1983 an engineer named Feliks Tobiasz, 48, (he'd now be in his late 70s if still alive) was busted by police, who ended up breaking two of his ribs. He was charged with being found in a bawdy house and resisting arrest. Two prostitutes later said that he was mouthy, wild and unruly, so it's possible that they were the ones who contacted police.
   Tobiasz, who reported himself to be a big fan of Communism, filed a complaint at the Police Ethics Commission, alleging that the officers (David Ashton, Serge Morin and Henry Williams) had mocked his penis, as they had apprehended him in the nude. A judge dismissed the complaint.
   When constructed the building would have stood across from the old Victoria Rink, which we've discussed on many occasions on this site. Impossible to tell who lived there in the early days, as the address changed around 1930, so we're forced to guesstimate the original address in the old Lovells, but Wayne Griswold, who became a media attorney for the Standard appears to have lived there when he arrived in town from Griswoldville Conn. as a young man.
   Getting back to Tobiasz: another person with the same family name was embroiled in another over-the-top drama in 1961 as Francisz Tobiasz, a 27-year-old Polish sailor, jumped ship in Montreal but was refused refugee status, leading his passionate young lover Sophia Horan to offer to return to Poland in his stead. The sailor was allowed to stay a little while longer and we're guessing permanently too. 

Ezzeee quiz - where was this in Montreal?

Add caption